A peek behind: Christmas 2009 Ben & Boggs

a beautiful picture and story from their owner Peter Ostrwoski Jr:
The bird season is just about done.  We have a couple more weeks . . . when we can walk on the ice . . . on the water-side of cattails.  The season started with a lot of unharvested corn.  Now, middle of December, most of the corn is still unharvested!  It concealed and sheltered the birds and deer.  Even so, we flushed many birds.  My success rate was up . . . with my new, fitted Spanish side by side (16 Ga. with Polywad's, Vintager shells, 2 1/2 inch, 7/8th oz #6's).  In August, I took Sue to Aspen, CO so that I could be fitted and purchase a gun from a guy named Jon Hollinger at the Aspen Outfitting Co.  It was an amazing experience.  We did it for the "boys."  I wanted to be better able to drop birds as a reward for their enthusiasm and hard work in the field.  It was a totally unselfish gesture . . . . !!

Best of all:  every bird I did drop, Boggs and Ben found it . . .  no matter where and no matter how hard it was hit:  deep in the corn rows; into cattails;  tens of yards away into food plots.  They have had a 100% retrieve rate.  Some of the retrieves were what I call "team retrieves."  It is fun to watch.  It is what they do with a stick.  They might eventually out-grow it, but for a non-purist like myself:  it is simply fun to watch the "boys" having fun.

Their hunting instincts are incredible.  I attribute some of it to my being able to get their noses into scents . . . early and often.  Ever since we brought them home, not a day would go by without a couple hours of "follow your nose."  It is easy to do out here.  Any promising, piece of cover that might hold birds, the pups will gravitate to it.  They never hang behind me.  They are always busy . . . out in front.  They know there is too much to smell and do.
 
Breeders Note: Ben and Boggs have the same mother as our current available puppies, by chance (?) we have TWO brothers! 2 - eight week old boys: another couple of Wonder Pups!

No comments:

Post a Comment