12/18/10: The Tales of Ben & Boggs by Peter Ostrowski Jr

Yes, Margo, I love the blogs; and, of course, I'd be flattered should you want to include some of the old Boggs & Ben stories.  Their puppy year was a busy, curious & romping time.  Feel free to chop & dice, or edit - just go for it! It was a special & inspirational time.
The picture we sent you was taken this week, southwest of Eureka at "our  lake."  The last couple weeks I have been leaving the gun home & simply going for long excursions in bird country on x-country skis.  We go down onto the ice . . . up over the hills . . . and into those trees in the background, before returning to the truck.  Once and a while we get to follow coyote tracks (three) over the snow covered ice.
Pheasant season was/is good. Once again, the "boys" flourished.  Last spring, I cleaned out a savings account and ordered a 28 Ga AyA Round Action Sidelock - from Spain.  It was either hearing aids or a shotgun.  I could not do both!  It was one of the easiest decisions I ever made.
Opening day I took the "elegant toothpick" to the field.  I had seven shots at pheasant.  Two of the seven were made while walking up to the pups on point.   I was able to walk up and wait for the flush.  That day; I went O for 7.  But - I love the gun.  If anyone was razzing me about it . . . I didn't hear it.
A couple days later in a different place, I dropped two birds.  The first bird flushed out of a marsh on my right and flew left.  I led it and squeezed.  The bird flinched and went down on a hillside on the other side of a slew . . . eighty yards away. It hit the ground running and went over the hill.  Out of the corner of my right eye, I saw the "boys" blow out of the marsh . . . and run toward the downed bird like a politician's security detail; going after a wack job!  They got to the hill, picked up the scent, and disappeared over the horizon.   I simply stood my ground and waited.  If I had a Marlboro . . . I would have had time to light up and relax over a few drags . . . confident of what would happen next.
After a few minutes, maybe more, the "boys" reappeared on the horizon; with the rooster in 'hand', doing the "team retrieve."  Each had a mouth on the bird and they were running at me shoulder to shoulder - in a celebratory frolic!   The bird did not have a tooth mark on it.  Good boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment