Tdk's Bird Boomerang MH QAA ex Jolor's Rejuvenator MH
We have one very happy mama! Seven new pups born on a very special day: July 29th, 2013. The day that a Duluth Icon, Mr. Joseph S. DeLoia (age 95), was moved out of Duluth to be closer to his family that lives in St. Paul, a wise move made for a man with wonderful children. Joe D. is my mentor, my friend and co-owner of our AKC Kennel Name JOLOR. But he is so much more than that, to many more people beside myself. For this means that Duluth lost a devoted resident of 60 + years. To me Duluth will never be the same; although the 'Joe DeLoia Spirit of Duluth' will go on as long as there are Friends of Joe, Labrador Retrievers and The Duluth Retriever Club in town! For Joe held a profound effect on all of these, and more.
Personally, yesterday was a bittersweet experience for me; almost every time one of our new pups was born, tears welled up in my eyes. Was it 'losing Joe' or was it my precious granddaughters in attendance of the birth? It was both. Joe would have loved the education that the children were receiving by being there under my tutorial. I think he would have been sitting right alongside us, if he could. I use to call Joe during a whelping to give him reports, upon his request; as he was intensely interested in his dogs and their continuation. He always asked detailed questions, and expected detailed answers; enough so - that the phone call, felt more like a personal visit. Then when those puppies would reach 4 weeks of age, we would go for a drive to the DeLoia home, so the little rascals could meet Joe in person; for I just knew they would be better dogs upon that experience...that Joe would imprint his magical touch on them for life, so to speak.
Due to age, we 'lost' Joe years ago, as my husband states. Yet, by God's Grace, when I would visit I shared stories with Joe as if he were 100% with me...and some would 'get through'. A visit was complete if I could tell a story and we could share a hearty laugh together, some of those were his own stories gifted back to him. Our time together, these last days, meant holding a hand and being in the presence of one of the most dignified men I will ever know; my husband also at my side. I hope to visit Joe in the cities, too; although we go there for 'precious & few' family times with our son, his wife and our grandson...and I have a feeling that in reality it will be difficult to 'fit it in'. In reality, that was true even when he was in Duluth, because life itself often crowds out what is most important, if we allow. In one month his bride of 73 years will be moved to a home nearby. I plan to visit Lorraine, before she leaves, during her birthday, and the Duluth Retriever Clubs' 2013 Fall Field Trial...for years and years she spent her birthday in the DRC kitchen!
New puppies, a happy mama dog, Alan is pleased, stud owner is glad, we have excited puppy placements, and devoted grandchildren...yet I am feeling like this might be my last litter. How can I go on? It's all about what motivates us in life. I'm pretty sure the main sail needs patching on my boat! I know my focus needs to be redirected back to my motto: For the love of the dog, and it's owner. "But, Joe...without you, I am not having much fun at it, not at the moment, anyway...and you always told me...that if you can't have fun at it - why do it?" ~ Margo E. Penke, AKC Breeder of Merit, Boundary Waters Labradors, est 1999


No comments:

Post a Comment